Re: [perl #100058] Perl leaves broken UTF-8 in SVs whose UTF8 is set

From:
David Nicol
Date:
October 14, 2011 13:11
Re: [perl #100058] Perl leaves broken UTF-8 in SVs whose UTF8 is set
Message ID:
CAFwScO-J_mDEdiBqJmFpcVC=Db+=vHybu8U5rtiZJjW_MVk2cg@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 8:00 PM, Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com>wrote:

> I found this persuasive (from the original ticket) "Or we could try to do
> what read and sysread do, and treat the length parameter as characters, so
> that on a UTF-8 flagged handle we loop until we read in
> sufficient characters. But that blows the idea of "record based" completely
> on a UTF-8 handle."
>
> I would also be ok with just croaking when attempting a byte-type operation
> on an encoded string.

it may torpedo and sink the original fixed length records for mainframe IO
optimization idea, but that driving need may have been eclipsed by the need
to port systems that now use fixed-character-count fields out of habit into
todays brave new world where a toothbrush can have more computing power in
it than ...

Is anyone here actually shoehorning UTF8 into fixed-length records, using
any system besides Perl to do it?

How do major commercial databases handle unicode and "CHAR 20" fields?