Re: Perl 5.16 and Beyond.

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
October 6, 2011 07:46
Re: Perl 5.16 and Beyond.
Message ID:
26503.1317912391@chthon
"H.Merijn Brand" <h.m.brand@xs4all.nl> wrote
   on Thu, 06 Oct 2011 16:20:03 +0200:

> Will there be any difference between

>   require 5.010;

> and

>   use 5.010;

> ?

> If the require means "5.10.0 or newer" and the use means what has been
> discussed everywhere, I can live with any decision made :)

There already is a big difference between use/require version number.

	% perl -e 'use 5.10.0; say what'
    vs
	% perl -e 'require 5.10.0; say what'
	Can't locate object method "say" via package "what" (perhaps you forgot to load "what"?) at -e line 1.

or

	% perl -e 'use 5.10.0; say "what"'
	what
    vs
	% perl -e 'require 5.10.0; say "what"'
	String found where operator expected at -e line 1, near "say "what""
		(Do you need to predeclare say?)
	syntax error at -e line 1, near "say "what""

Which is somewhat curious.

--tom