Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT in afuture release of Perl

From:
Eric Brine
Date:
October 2, 2011 22:45
Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT in afuture release of Perl
Message ID:
CALJW-qE5YOTbLhmMrELiyPT3U+RXcXniB+=QEZuuXPArFBhsAQ@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Karl Williamson <public@khwilliamson.com>wrote:

> It is my understanding that more modern Perls will compile and run when the
> locale is utf8.  We also have Encode available to translate EBCDIC data to
> Unicode on input, and back on output.

So if we removed all internal support for EBCDIC and UTF-EBCDIC, EBCDIC
users are left in the same situation as cp1252 and UTF-8 users (the need to
encode outputs and decode inputs), except for the inability to read source
files. That ability can be added by having the parser automatically decode
source files from EBCDIC (as it does for UTF-8 files under "use utf8;") on
that platform.

Unless I am missing something, this would make it easy to re-add EBCDIC
support.

- Eric