Re: [perl #100364] exit doesn't match its documentation

From:
Abigail
Date:
October 1, 2011 12:46
Re: [perl #100364] exit doesn't match its documentation
Message ID:
20111001194553.GA3953@almanda
On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 05:59:40AM -0400, Eric Brine wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 5:04 AM, Zefram <zefram@fysh.org> wrote:
>
> > Eric Brine wrote:
> > >Anyway, 3+4 and 5 || 6 aren't terms,
> >
> > They are in the sense in which "term" is meant in the Perl grammar.
> > It refers to a term of a list.  See "term" and "listexpr" in perly.y,
> > and "parse_termexpr" in perlapi.
> >

> In my experience, term refers to an expression in parens or a value literal.
> I shouldn't be expected to read perly.y to understand how to use exit.

It doesn't matter what it means.

The majority of the people reading the documentation will not know
what it means.

Documentation that is only understandable if you have more than a passing
knowledge of the implementation has little use to the average programmer.

I think it's far more important to have documentation that's
understandable by the general programmer, than have documentation
that cannot be nitpicked by someone with a deep knowledge of both Perl
and perl.

I strongly suggest to keep 'exit EXPR' in.

Abigail