Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT ina future release of Perl

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
October 1, 2011 08:58
Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT ina future release of Perl
Message ID:
4E873862.7030303@khwilliamson.com
On 10/01/2011 01:49 AM, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> I don't know about "bad blood"... irritation, maybe. Amazement at the
> pigheadedness of IBM, why they don't see how the current model doesn't
> work. Their current model of maintaining an obsolete fork doesn't work.
> Well, to be fair, they do every couple of years throw a bunch of poorly
> documented patches over the wall. But they have never responded to any
> of our feedback and/or questions about the patches. Some of them have
> been integrated, some haven't.
>
> Personally, I'm mightily irritated at my and NI-S' work being wasted
> this way. And I think we are fooling ourselves if we claim that it'll
> be easy to "merge the changes back in". It was a mess.
> The assumptions of ASCII run deep.

I would hate to see it wasted as well.  And I like the elegance of it.
But, even if IBM doesn't come through, as it seems clear, they won't.
We could still continue to support EBCDIC on Perl if we were able to get
access to an EBCDIC machine for testing and minimal development.  That
means that all we would need is for a user with the right environment to
step forward.  Failing that, it means that no user (if not personally,
then their company) finds it sufficiently important to have more modern
Perls working in an EBCDIC environment.