Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT ina future release of Perl

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
October 1, 2011 00:49
Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT ina future release of Perl
Message ID:
4E86C5EF.5060400@iki.fi
I don't know about "bad blood"... irritation, maybe.  Amazement at the
pigheadedness of IBM, why they don't see how the current model doesn't
work.  Their current model of maintaining an obsolete fork doesn't work.
Well, to be fair, they do every couple of years throw a bunch of poorly
documented patches over the wall.  But they have never responded to any
of our feedback and/or questions about the patches.  Some of them have
been integrated, some haven't.

Personally, I'm mightily irritated at my and NI-S' work being wasted
this way.  And I think we are fooling ourselves if we claim that it'll
be easy to "merge the changes back in".  It was a mess.
The assumptions of ASCII run deep.