Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT ina future release of Perl

From:
Sam Vilain
Date:
September 30, 2011 12:11
Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT ina future release of Perl
Message ID:
4E861461.3040803@vilain.net
On 9/30/11 6:15 AM, Craig A. Berry wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 7:30 AM, Zefram<zefram@fysh.org>  wrote:
>> Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
>>> There should be no 'forks' of open source projects maintained by
>>> vendors.  That just leads into pain and suffering.
>>
>> But forking is their right, subject to the free software licenses.
>
> I'm not so sure what they're doing actually does comply with the
> Artistic License.  Isn't there some business in there about either
> renaming the modified version to something else or making the source
> code changes available in some form?
>
> Not that enforcing compliance would be likely to help much as it would
> probably result in a dump of changes that wouldn't be applicable to
> blead and still couldn't be tested.

I think you're confusing Artistic with Apache v1, and the typical
obnoxious trademark licenses applied to products like Google® Chrome™®
which are what lead it being called Chromium in Debian.  In Perl you
just go ahead and chuck the patch listing in the appropriate header file
and you're fine.  In fact a source attribution (plus making the source
available, obviously) may be enough to comply.

Sam