Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT in afuture release of Perl

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
September 30, 2011 11:34
Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT in afuture release of Perl
Message ID:
CAJuepps7goUsWjKGXx4UmL_tHNgTrHX5+xNovQ4pzuAdLfAoiQ@mail.gmail.com

>> You haven't looked at the EBCDIC code, have you?
>
> this won't suffice? assuming an ascii-based shell?
> dd conv=ebcdic | perl ... | dd conv=ascii
> I had an acount on a "zpenguin" for a while and that environment was all
> ascii. Also opposite-endian from x86, which made it a really stupid choice
> for testing bit-twiddling methods for accelerating utf8 character counts via
> machine word operations.

This is not Linux.  This is not zpenguin.  In the real z/os
environment there's nothing ASCII.  perl -le 'print ord("A")' doesn't
do what you expect.

--
There is this special biologist word we use for 'stable'. It is
'dead'. -- Jack Cohen