Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT ina future release of Perl

From:
Zefram
Date:
September 30, 2011 05:31
Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT ina future release of Perl
Message ID:
20110930123053.GI12382@lake.fysh.org
Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
>There should be no 'forks' of open source projects maintained by
>vendors.  That just leads into pain and suffering.

But forking is their right, subject to the free software licenses.
What we need to look at is what their statement means with respect to the
canonical perl, and what it means is "we have no interest in assisting
EBCDIC support in perl".  It's a nice clear answer, and tells us what
we need to do: abandon our attempts at EBCDIC support, and rip out the
code that hinders development for ASCII/Latin-1/UTF-8 platforms.

-zefram