Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT in afuture release of Perl

From:
David Nicol
Date:
September 27, 2011 08:32
Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT in afuture release of Perl
Message ID:
CAFwScO8NYKpLev8-_jE77+U=p1EcPFKRNWKQG7uhCvYnqDDGOA@mail.gmail.com
> Part of the problem is that no one even knows if it works. It is
> almost certain to be broken given various changes, and no one knows
> how much work it would be to fix it, nor can anyone test those fixes.
>
> Leon

I think I triggered this outpouring by pointing out that an example in
the documentation for a pack format presumed ASCII. EBCDIC is pretty
much the only non-ASCII game in town, but it would not be impossible
to make up an alternate encoding just to test abstracting of encoding,
but that idea of course fails the Sufficient Intrinsic Amusement test
and therefore is a non-hunting dog. Or, to define utf8 (with it's
ASCII subset) as How It Is and declare that any compatibility porting
is to be done at the perimeter instead of inside.