Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT in afuture release of Perl

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
September 26, 2011 15:33
Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT in afuture release of Perl
Message ID:
CA+vYcVzWTk5y03nG_bZeXCyM_vUD7SogNFcXGXBjzYL5yb3SZQ@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Peter Prymmer <PPrymmer@factset.com> wrote:
> I think tossing in an #error is preferable to worrying too much about
> EBCDIC support.  Wholesale removal of the port(s) leaves a lot
> of work for the prospective future patcher to get started with,
> whereas a clear #error in running miniperl might be more easily
> fixed.  I do not think ASCII based perl maintainers have to consider
> the EBCDIC ports too much.  Writing code (especially tests) that breaks
> EBCDIC does happen and can be fixed.  The burden of providing the fix
> is raised quite a bit higher if the EBCDIC stuff already in is removed.

I might've agreed with this at a time when most people were dependent
on snapshots or directories full of numbered (but unnamed) patches to
get access to the source code.  But gitweb makes it so easy to search
and browse history that a removal isn't so much a removal as filing it
with a nice label on a lower -- but still accessible -- shelf.  A
properly done excision would involve a commit that would clearly
document the state of EBCDIC support (non-working though it likely is)
at the time of the removal.  For someone wanting to resurrect the port
at a later date, the code would all be there in one handy place.
Reintegrating it would almost certainly be the easiest part of getting
the port working again.