Re: [perl #100058] Perl leaves broken UTF-8 in SVs whose UTF8 is set

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
September 26, 2011 13:55
Re: [perl #100058] Perl leaves broken UTF-8 in SVs whose UTF8 is set
Message ID:
4001.1317070536@chthon
"Leon Timmermans via RT" <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote
   on Mon, 26 Sep 2011 13:31:08 PDT:

> The complication of course is that there is no such thing as a utf8
> layer. It's just a flag on top of another layer. For that matter
> making it a real layer may actually be a rather sensible thing, and
> since we're emulating doing that right now it shouldn't be very user
> visible either.

The description in perlrun of what happens when you use :utf8 in the PERLIO
envariable confuses me, because it says that that layer does not do validity
checks, but as far as I can discern, it does.

--tom