Re: [perl #100058] Perl leaves broken UTF-8 in SVs whose UTF8 is set

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
September 26, 2011 13:30
Re: [perl #100058] Perl leaves broken UTF-8 in SVs whose UTF8 is set
Message ID:
CAHhgV8iM4+wmfWNQuLod5yBfsChNK056Yy-a9mA5DPU7qajq3w@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:25 PM, Father Chrysostomos via RT
<perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
> I think it was agreed some time ago that that is a bug.  The utf8 layer
> should at least check for well-formedness (meaning that it produces a
> valid perl scalar), even if it does not check for strict UTF-8 (disallow
> certain codepoin(the latter being a matter of controversy).

The complication of course is that there is no such thing as a utf8
layer. It's just a flag on top of another layer. For that matter
making it a real layer may actually be a rather sensible thing, and
since we're emulating doing that right now it shouldn't be very user
visible either.

Leon