Re: [perl #100058] Perl leaves broken UTF-8 in SVs whose UTF8 is set

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
September 26, 2011 13:27
Re: [perl #100058] Perl leaves broken UTF-8 in SVs whose UTF8 is set
Message ID:
7889.1317068840@chthon
> I think it was agreed some time ago that that is a bug.  The utf8 layer
> should at least check for well-formedness (meaning that it produces a
> valid perl scalar), even if it does not check for strict UTF-8 (disallow
> certain codepoin(the latter being a matter of controversy).

I do have some mail from Mark Davis explaining why a UTF-8 decoder must
allow everything in the range U+0000 through U+1FFFF *except* for
surrogates.  Our "nonchar" warnings apparently shouldn't be there.

--tom