Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT ina future release of Perl

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
September 26, 2011 09:56
Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT ina future release of Perl
Message ID:
4E80AE94.3090603@iki.fi
On Monday-201109-26 18:36, Leon Timmermans wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Jarkko Hietaniemi<jhi@iki.fi>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Executive summary: some current users of the Perl on z/OS need to step
>>> up, and do the porting/support, or it will not happen.
>>
>> I haven't seen the beginning of the discussion: is the plan to remove #ifdef
>> EBCDIC etc. code?  Is it such a maintenance burden?  I thought it was
>> reasonably well contained.
>
> Part of the problem is that no one even knows if it works. It is
> almost certain to be broken given various changes, and no one knows
> how much work it would be to fix it, nor can anyone test those fixes.

I understand that.  But as long as you don't have access, you have no
way of knowing whether or nor how much of it is broken.  If the code is
removed, it will be 100% broken.