Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT in a future release of Perl

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
September 26, 2011 09:54
Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT in a future release of Perl
Message ID:
32711.1317056056@chthon
Jesse Luehrs <doy@tozt.net> wrote on Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:31:10 CDT:

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 06:11:21PM +0200, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

>>> Executive summary: some current users of the Perl on z/OS need to step
>>> up, and do the porting/support, or it will not happen.

>> I haven't seen the beginning of the discussion: is the plan to
>> remove #ifdef EBCDIC etc. code?  Is it such a maintenance burden?  I
>> thought it was reasonably well contained.

> If I've been following properly, the issue actually is that there are
> newer parts of the code that have been added in the past bunch of years
> that don't handle EBCDIC properly, and while we could spend time fixing
> those bugs, if nobody is actually using it, just removing the support
> would be a lot easier.

Plus how can we hope to support that the core team doesn't itself
have any access to?  (Assuming that this is true, of course.)

--tom