Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT in afuture release of Perl

From:
Jesse Luehrs
Date:
September 26, 2011 09:31
Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT in afuture release of Perl
Message ID:
20110926163110.GB14233@tozt.net
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 06:11:21PM +0200, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

> >Executive summary: some current users of the Perl on z/OS need to step
> >up, and do the porting/support, or it will not happen.
>
> I haven't seen the beginning of the discussion: is the plan to
> remove #ifdef EBCDIC etc. code?  Is it such a maintenance burden?  I
> thought it was reasonably well contained.

If I've been following properly, the issue actually is that there are
newer parts of the code that have been added in the past bunch of years
that don't handle EBCDIC properly, and while we could spend time fixing
those bugs, if nobody is actually using it, just removing the support
would be a lot easier.

-doy