Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT ina future release of Perl

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
September 26, 2011 09:06
Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT ina future release of Perl
Message ID:
4E80A30B.4080500@iki.fi
> Do you know if IBM has resources dedicated to maintaining Perl for z/OS?
> We'd be absolutely thrilled to engage with them to help ensure that Perl
> works well on z/OS, but without some involvement from IBM, it'd be quite
> difficult for us to do so.
>
> Are IBM's changes to Perl 5.8.7 freely available?

AFAICT all of (or 90+% of it) those changes have been merged into the
mainline.  Search the perl5-porters archives for "z/os", maybe 4-6 years
ago.  IIRC there has been at least two batches of patches (ha!):
once from some IBM India, and once from some IBM China.  Or maybe search
for the approriate hints changes.

> Does IBM have a way to provide free access to z/OS for opensource
> developers?

No.  I tried several times, but the people inside IBM (or the IBM people
within z/os) simply don't get this "open source thing". They expect
companies, and companies paying Real Money, and companies
Signing With IBM to do this work.  About two years ago I tried to work
with Merijn Broeren's help to make IBM understand, to no avail.

We lucked out about ten years ago in that somebody within IBM
understood the benefit of having such access, and I got access to a
z/os box for a few weeks, and NI-S had access to a TI z/os box, so
we were able to port early 5.8.x releases.  But that window is no more
there.

Executive summary: some current users of the Perl on z/OS need to step
up, and do the porting/support, or it will not happen.