Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT ina future release of Perl

From:
Michael Peters
Date:
September 23, 2011 09:56
Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT ina future release of Perl
Message ID:
4E7CBA3F.8010701@plusthree.com
On 09/23/2011 12:52 PM, H.Merijn Brand wrote:

> On a different note, does Encode support EBCDIC completely?
>
> open my $fh, "<:encoding(EBCDIC)", "as400.ttx" or die "Get modern";
>
>  From its docs:
>
>           @ebcdic = Encode->encodings("EBCDIC");
>
> but is it ever tested?

I don't know about tested, but I've definitely used Encode and EBCDIC to
talk to an AS400 before (using Inline::Java and the IBM JTOpen Java
classes to boot). So yeah it does work, but it definitely doesn't belong
anywhere else bug Encode.

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP