Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT ina future release of Perl

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
September 23, 2011 09:52
Re: Speak up now about your use of EBCDIC or WE WILL REMOVE IT ina future release of Perl
Message ID:
20110923185234.32aad43c@pc09.procura.nl
On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 12:24:01 -0400, Jesse Vincent <jesse@fsck.com>
wrote:

> We don't currently have evidence that native support for EBCDIC systems
> in Perl is in use by anyone or that it currently works at all.
>
> If you use Perl on an EBCDIC system, please either reply to this message
> or contact me off list.  If nobody speaks up for EBCDIC, there's a
> pretty good chance that it will be on the way to Valhalla in the
> not-too-distant future.

Oh WOW!

+1

I can finally remove it from my todo list for Text::CSV_XS :)
(not that anyone actually ever asked for it)

On a different note, does Encode support EBCDIC completely?

open my $fh, "<:encoding(EBCDIC)", "as400.ttx" or die "Get modern";

From its docs:

         @ebcdic = Encode->encodings("EBCDIC");

but is it ever tested?

--
H.Merijn Brand  http://tux.nl      Perl Monger  http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using 5.00307 through 5.14 and porting perl5.15.x on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00,