Re: Regex warning

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
September 22, 2011 03:31
Re: Regex warning
Message ID:
24646.1316687420@chthon
David Nicol <davidnicol@gmail.com> wrote
   on Wed, 21 Sep 2011 22:53:58 CDT:

> Just for another data point, I'd put fancy \b and fancy \w in
> something like (?b:...) and (?w:...) rather than mucking with the way
> a currently valid interpolation works. Remember the transition from
> heuristic to absolute interpolation of @arrays?

We have to come up with a different way to do regex-related assertions and
tweaks than C<use re "/i"> or (?i), because we don't have enough letters
and they're hard to figure out.  Java now has both (?u) and (?U) as
different things, which is just messy.  We need some way of being able to
use full words, and possibly words with arguments.

    use re boundary => "fancy words";

or something like that could be made to work well enough as a pragma,
but how best to inline it inside a (?....) is less than perfectly clear.

At least to me.

--tom