New gv_* functions

From:
Father Chrysostomos
Date:
September 18, 2011 20:28
Subject:
New gv_* functions
Message ID:
DDA59560-8118-4C28-917D-209F8CDF2F77@cpan.org
As you can see at <http://perl5.git.perl.org/perl.git/shortlog/refs/heads/sprout/utf8sym>, I’m starting to go through your patches.

I’ve noticed you are adding a lot of gv_* functions to the public API.  I’m always wary of adding new functions to the API without a good reason, because it will create a greater maintenance burden later on. Do you mind if I change most of these to be private, at least for now? (gv_init_* I think should be exempt, as I can already see uses for it in CPAN modules.) Also, do we really want to add new _pv functions? I thought the whole point of _pvn and _sv was to get away from relying on the trailing null.