Re: Perl 5.16 and Beyond.

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
September 14, 2011 07:49
Re: Perl 5.16 and Beyond.
Message ID:
20110914144914.GB2160@klangraum.plasmasturm.org
* John Imrie <j.imrie1@virginmedia.com> [2011-09-14 02:25]:
> The inner most hash should be magical so you can do
> $features{say}{say}->('This is from feature say, no matter
> where it's implemented');

What do you do with the `unicode_string` feature?

What about features that enable changes in parsing?

What if we get some sort of coroutines or CPS in core, or some
other change in fundamental semantics somewhere?

This proposal will and can only work for the simplest kind of
feature.

* John Imrie <j.imrie1@virginmedia.com> [2011-09-14 01:35]:
> use latest;
> my @features = latest::features;
> die "no given/when" unless grep {$_ eq 'switch'} @features

The following would work just as well:

    use latest;
    use feature 'switch';

I think that’s a good idea though. Having the option to probe for
a set of features (and with `no feature`, for the absence of
certain features) instead of only for a particular interpreter
version would be nice.

Regards,