Re: Perl 5.16 and Beyond.

From:
David Golden
Date:
September 14, 2011 03:53
Re: Perl 5.16 and Beyond.
Message ID:
CAOeq1c_6tg80+Rn025upait6F0uDKJ-O75FyoMpvY5xRFwzg-w@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 6:28 AM, Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:
> I think the devil is in the detail. If, while running under 5.20,
>
>    use v5.16;
>
> is just about equivalent to
>
>    no feature 'list of features added in 5.18, 5.20';
>
> then I'd be happy with that.
>
> If it's supposed to mean "this code will run in exactly the same way as if
> you have just applied the perl-5.16.0 executable against it", then I will
> run away screaming.

This is why I suggested a middle ground of "if it compiled under
v5.16, it will compile here" -- but not guaranteeing complete behavior
compatibility.  That gives us freedom to fix broken things.

To use your expression, that's "no features added since ..." plus
"substitutes for things deprecated/removed since..." and possibly some
other similar stuff.  (E.g., if we deprecated and then removed having
keys/values/each act on arrays, we'd need to import some replacement
keywords that still did that with correct prototypes.)

How do you feel about the feasibility/maintainability of that narrower
definition?

-- David