Re: Perl 5.16 and Beyond.

From:
Jesse Vincent
Date:
September 13, 2011 14:07
Re: Perl 5.16 and Beyond.
Message ID:
86F5666B-C5B2-4877-856F-B847AFEFAF44@fsck.com

On Sep 13, 2011, at 4:48 PM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:

> I agree with all the backward compatibility *goals*, but I think redefining "v5.x" to mean "exactly v5.x" instead of "equal or greater than v5.x" is a bit contrary to that aim.

The point of the new semantics for "use v5.x" is to insulate code from changes to Perl's defaults. Keeping the existing semantics ensures that programs will break as we make changes to Perl's defaults.

We should certainly have some way for developers who want their code to get "the running Perl's semantics, whether it's 5.16 or 5.36" to hurt themselves if they want to, but it really should not be the default.