Re: Perl 5.16 and Beyond.

From:
Tim Bunce
Date:
September 12, 2011 13:22
Re: Perl 5.16 and Beyond.
Message ID:
20110912202143.GK590@timac.local
On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:28:47PM -0400, Jesse Vincent wrote:
>    [...]

Excellent!

>    - New versions of Perl 5 should not break your existing software
>    - Backward compatibility must not stop Perl 5 from evolving
>    - From 'use v5.16' forward, Perl should start treating 'use v5.x' statements as "try to give me a Perl that looks like v5.x" rather than "give me at least v5.x"
>    - We're awesome at modules. Where possible, we should be modularizing core features.

+1 * 4

I've been on perl5-porters for about two decades now.
I've seen many comings and goings, plans and fallout, highs and lows.

In recent years I've watched with growing delight at the renewed life
on perl5-porters. The heart of the community. The very center of the Onion.

I'd like to thank you Jesse for your commitment and thoughful leadership.

And I'd like to thank the many people who have contributed to perl,
and the many who have made new contributors welcome here.

Tim [feeling all misty-eyed to be near the center of the Onion for so long]