Re: A summary of Chip patches and potential impact

From:
George Greer
Date:
September 5, 2011 08:56
Re: A summary of Chip patches and potential impact
Message ID:
alpine.LFD.2.02.1109051124500.19649@ein.m-l.org
On Mon, 5 Sep 2011, Steffen Mueller wrote:

> I assume that at around 20k distributions, it'll be done by the end of the
> working week. It may be a bit slower if I have to restart it often. I would
> not feel entirely comfortable spreading this out over multiple machines since
> the environments would be subtly different. But if we had a fast Intel
> octu-core (16 threads), with plenty of local storage we'd probably rip
> through CPAN in two days.

Anybody happen to have US$4,000 lying around to buy one of those
processors? I think you'd be better off buying a dual-socket motherboard
(~US$260) and putting in two 6-core CPUs (~US$600 each).  Imagine
24-threads!  Although if you're going big then why not use that
dual-socket for two 8-core CPUs for 32-threads?  Ah, whimsy...

On a more realistic side, I have an old Core i7 4-core/8-thread that I'd
use for the cause if you can automate it in some fashion beyond the
current babysitting.  I run 'make -j' smoke runs and with them nice'd I
generally don't notice they're running even with load averages in the 80s.

> * The blacklisting needs rethinking. I'm simply stripping the bad
> distributions out when assembling the original input todo list. This can mean
> that those distributions are pulled in by others as dependencies!

I assume this means you're not using the normal CPAN smoke tools?
(CPAN-Reporter-Smoker or CPANPLUS-YACSmoke)

 	http://wiki.cpantesters.org/wiki/QuickStart

You'd have to tell those modules to save reports to files instead of
delivering to the metabase though, at least for the custom branch, so that
you don't subject the CPAN authors to failures by mad scientists.

--
George Greer