Re: A summary of Chip patches and potential impact

From:
Steffen Mueller
Date:
September 4, 2011 23:32
Re: A summary of Chip patches and potential impact
Message ID:
4E646D04.4030703@cpan.org
Hi,

On 09/04/2011 11:03 PM, Jesse Vincent wrote:
> Once the data is gettable, I'd really love to know how much CPU time
> we're actually talking about to do a full A/B cpansmoke.  Being able
> to peg a time/pain/cpu cost to it helps make it a lot more obvious
> what's not gonna work.

For the record, I've started a new, parallel smoke run last night around
7:30pm. It's six processes on four cores with about a thousand
distributions blacklisted*. This is an Athlon64 quad core with 2.6GHz
and local storage (ie no NFS crap).

I assume that at around 20k distributions, it'll be done by the end of
the working week. It may be a bit slower if I have to restart it often.
I would not feel entirely comfortable spreading this out over multiple
machines since the environments would be subtly different. But if we had
a fast Intel octu-core (16 threads), with plenty of local storage we'd
probably rip through CPAN in two days.

Cheers,
Steffen

* The blacklisting needs rethinking. I'm simply stripping the bad
distributions out when assembling the original input todo list. This can
mean that those distributions are pulled in by others as dependencies!