Re: A summary of Chip patches and potential impact

From:
David Golden
Date:
September 3, 2011 13:16
Re: A summary of Chip patches and potential impact
Message ID:
CAOeq1c81QK9A9J5h1dS-oWuNfYnNp-fOKmA53Q5PiHBNuFbuyg@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 6:11 AM, Steffen Mueller <smueller@cpan.org> wrote:
> This leaves the fact that the CPAN smoking is just too damn slow to be
> throwing it at a lot of branches in the future. I do think it's viable for
> deep changes such as yours, but we need to be very careful with adopting a
> "if in doubt, let's CPAN smoke it" policy both for conservation of volunteer
> time, CPU time, and latency (this remark is for Jesse primarily).

Smoking a subset is more realistic and as you point out, it can be
parallelized.  E.g. Assuming funding for it, firing up 20+ amazon spot
instances could chew through a CPAN subset fairly quickly.  (E.g.
high-CPU spot price is currently 0.06/hour).  I suspect that could
chew through, for example, the constituents of Task::Kensho for a
reasonable price per run.

What we need to do eventually is get the tools built so anyone
interested can fire up a big parallel smoke run on some branch they
want to test and maybe also have a regular (weekly?) run against
blead.

-- David