Re: Some preliminary cpan smoking reports

From:
Steffen Mueller
Date:
September 3, 2011 08:04
Re: Some preliminary cpan smoking reports
Message ID:
4E6241FD.1090102@cpan.org
On 09/03/2011 01:35 PM, Steffen Mueller wrote:
> Sorry for hijacking the thread about the actual core changes earlier.
>
> On 09/02/2011 10:49 PM, Reverend Chip wrote:
>> To accompany Jesse's efforts to explain what makes a patch acceptable
>> -- and I really like the phrase "free as in puppies" -- I wrote the
>> below summary of the changes I have pending. Steffen++ is CPAN
>> smoking the magic flags patch; some of the other patches need CPAN
>> smoking too.
>
> Here's the current set of differences between the copy of blead and
> chip/magicflags1 that I started smoking. I skipped all cases in the
> output where a report is missing for either of the perls. That's very
> common.
>
> http://steffen-mueller.net/tmp/out
>
> Note also, that not all of these difference can possibly be attributed
> to Chip's changes but rather to dubious smoking circumstances or
> whatever. But going from 20k distributions down to a hundred for manual
> review is already a big win, I think. Keep in mind that the smoker is
> far from done!

The smokers are now restartable and with a bit of luck should resume
working where they previously left off. This allows cleaning up of build
directories. I just did that, so the two smokers can keep churning for
longer with the disk space they have.

One thing that just came to my mind for speeding things up: I haven't
entirely thought this through, but I almost assume that if I split the
input list of distributions in N subfiles, running N smokers with the
same output directory should not result in any problems. So given fast
machine with many cores, we could speed things up. Dromedary has four
cores and a smoker has a certain amount of overhead already, so I'm
likely using about 2.5 cores already. That means this can't scale up on
dromedary, sadly. But that's being worked on by others.

Cheers,
Steffen