develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2011

deleting then resurrecting things with git

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
August 30, 2011 09:46
Subject:
deleting then resurrecting things with git
Message ID:
20110830092714.GL37285@plum.flirble.org
In the core distribution there are quite a few "ports" directories.

Most of them are suffering bad bitrot. Historically, we've let them
stay, I'm guessing on the assumption that their presence is more useful to
someone who might wish to resurrect the platform, and that some brute-force
"change everything" changes do get made in the ports directory.

I guess also that there was an assumption that if one deletes a directory,
then re-instates its contents, that "blame" will be lost - annotation will
attribute entire files' contents to the commit that resurrected them.

But now we have git, which, as I understand it, implements a merge as a
commit with >1 parent (instead of a commit with some annotation about
"oh, and something over ---> there is somewhat related"). Does this mean
that in git it's possible (and sane) to

1: (say) delete beos/   (because everyone is using Haiku now)
2: time passes
3: someone using BeOS appears bearing patches to make BeOS work again
4: resurrect beos/      *with history still available*
5: apply patches

?

Is step 4 as simple as creating merge between blead HEAD and the commit
before the one that deleted the directory?

Nicholas Clark