develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2011

Re: [perl #97958] reset("") does not match docs

From:
Rafael Garcia-Suarez
Date:
Re: [perl #97958] reset("") does not match docs
Message ID:
CAMoYMM8P-=H2q6GEP6O08W=Xj4RUhAaVs9+PNeqSRknUg=NXhg@mail.gmail.com
On 28 August 2011 21:49, Father Chrysostomos <perlbug-followup@perl.org> wrote:
> $ perl5.14.0 -Xle 'for(1,2) { print "a" =~ ?a? }'
> 1
>
> $ perl5.14.0 -Xle 'for(1,2) { print "a" =~ ?a?; reset "" }'
> 1
> 1
>
> The documentation for reset() says that it resets ?? matches if there is no
> argument.  It says nothing about an empty string.  If anyone is using
> reset($string), and if $string is computer-generated, this could cause nasty
> surprises.
>
> Even though it’s generally better to make docs conform to longstanding
> behaviour, too strict a stand would prevent any bugs from being fixed.  And
> this one really does look like a bug to me.

My understanding of the docs is that reset *always* resets the ?? matches,
and also any package variable beginning with the given list of characters.
So the current behaviour matches the docs.

On a related note, maybe it's time to deprecate arguments to reset ?

--
It is always possible to aglutenate multiple separate problems into a single
complex interdependent solution. In most cases this is a bad idea.