develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2011

Re: Predeclaration vs. scalar types - no worries

From:
Steffen Mueller
Date:
Re: Predeclaration vs. scalar types - no worries
Message ID:
4E479E8C.10601@cpan.org
On 08/14/2011 11:50 AM, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 09:35:33PM +0200, Steffen Mueller wrote:
>>>
>>> That's a test I had planned anyway.  It's been done before; is there a
>>> test harness already, or did everyone make it up as they went?
>
>> This was a lot of work and I would rather not do that again. If I had
>> to, I'd most certainly try to automate more.
>>
>> One obvious way to try to improve the process would be to have the same
>> machine smoke both branches and then look at only the dists where the
>> result is different.
>
> That seems like a very good way to go.
>
> Also, I fear that this particular plan of Chip's would really benefit
> from being smoked on CPAN (at least) tice. Once with -DDEBUGGING to
> enable assertions, to catch assumptions in CPAN code analogous to

Okay. If somebody teaches me how to set up a CPAN smoker, I'll do that
stuff once more, hopefully more cleverly this time. This is one of those
cases where I'm fairly certain I'll regret volunteering. :)

[...]

> and once with full-on optimisation, to try to tickle crashes caused by
> anything else.
>
> [and possibly also with/without threads]
>
> Maybe I'm too paranoid. Or maybe that's just what the bugs want me to think.

Just keep the cost of these tests in mind. We only have limited
resources of people willing and able to do them.

--Steffen