develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2011

[perl #96924] Patch: Update AUTHORS and convert from Latin-1 to UTF-8

From:
Keith Thompson
Date:
August 14, 2011 01:10
Subject:
[perl #96924] Patch: Update AUTHORS and convert from Latin-1 to UTF-8
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-31297-1313277729-787.96924-75-0@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  Keith Thompson
# Please include the string:  [perl #96924]

It's not 100% clear that you'll want the AUTHORS file to be in UTF-8
rather than Latin-1.  In my opinion it should be, both because UTF-8
is more flexible, and because there's at least one author whose name
cannot be represented in Latin-1.  I've also updated my own e-mail
address (the old and new addresses are both valid, but I prefer to
use my gmail address for this kind of thing.)  If you don't want to
deal with the character encoding, please update that line.

Incidentally, there are a number of files in the Perl source tree
that are encoded in Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1), and a number that are in
UTF-8.  Running "file" on everything shows 70 Latin-1 files and 58
UTF-8 files, but that may be incomplete.  Copyright symbols probably
account for a lot of them.

If there's a consensus that all the Latin-1 files should be converted
to UTF-8, I'll volunteer to do the conversion and submit a patch.

--
Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson@gmail.com>