develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2011

Re: How much of PerlIO is part of the API?

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
Re: How much of PerlIO is part of the API?
Message ID:
CAHhgV8hd+RqHjz=U_DXWy7qT0iNEhrbZUmMSmi8jHFwd0PAgsQ@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Leon Timmermans <fawaka@gmail.com> wrote:
> IMHO, a call to PerlIO_define_layer should be
> like the rest of perl's API.

And of course, within days of posting that I fucked up a module[1]
because I didn't quite remember which functions require it and which
don't. This is really annoying. Maybe moving things from hard coded to
X in embed.fcn would make people more aware of the situation.

On the other hand, the fact that lots of this is not part of the API
could be used to change some serious warts in PerlIO. The more I bump
into issues the more I'm inclined this is the way out.

Leon

[1]: http://matrix.cpantesters.org/?dist=PerlIO-text%200.001