develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from August 2011

[perl #95972] Patch: Fix typos in several pod/perl*.pod files

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
August 2, 2011 12:34
Subject:
[perl #95972] Patch: Fix typos in several pod/perl*.pod files
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-31297-1312313634-398.95972-15-0@perl.org
On Sun Jul 31 23:44:38 2011, kst@mib.org wrote:
> On Sun 11-07-31 13:23, Father Chrysostomos via RT wrote:
> > On Sat Jul 30 15:07:29 2011, kst@mib.org wrote:
> > > This patch corrects some typos in several pod/perl*.pod files.
> > >
> > > Apart from some obvious misspellings, some of these changes might
> > > need some discussion (though IMHO all the changes are correct):
> > >
> > > "nan" --> "NaN"
> >
> > I’m not sure about that one. On most non-Windows systems I’ve tried it
> > one, it stringifies as nan:
> >
> > $ perl -le 'print sin 9**9**9'
> > nan
> >
> > I seem to remember seeing CPAN modules that provide a nan() constant,
> > but not NaN. There are also plans under way to make nan stringify as nan
> > on all platforms. So I would be in favor of changing every instance of
> > NaN to nan. (This isn’t JavaScript, after all. :-)
>
> Hmm.  I see your point -- but I would argue that "NaN" is a more
> appropriate name in English text, whatever it stringifies to.
> For example, <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NaN> consistently
> refers to it as "NaN", not "nan" (except in the list of string
> representations).  And I find "NaN" clearer.
>
> Similarly, there are a several hundred occurrences of "zero",
> which stringifies to "0".
>
> [...]
>
> > > "supercalifragilisticexpialidoceous" -->
> > > "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"
> >
> > That’s not even a real word, so how can there be a correct spelling? And
> > I always thought it had a double l in -calli-. :-)
>
> It's an invented word.  It's also the title of a song from
> Mary Poppins, and the correct spelling of the song title is
> "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
>
> (No, Wikipedia isn't definitive, but other references should be
> consistent.)

Fairy nuff. :-)
I’ve applied the rest as b539c2c.