develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2011

[perl #95972] Patch: Fix typos in several pod/perl*.pod files

From:
Father Chrysostomos via RT
Date:
July 31, 2011 13:23
Subject:
[perl #95972] Patch: Fix typos in several pod/perl*.pod files
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-7815-1312143826-118.95972-15-0@perl.org
On Sat Jul 30 15:07:29 2011, kst@mib.org wrote:
> This patch corrects some typos in several pod/perl*.pod files.
>
> Apart from some obvious misspellings, some of these changes might
> need some discussion (though IMHO all the changes are correct):
>
> "nan" --> "NaN"

I’m not sure about that one. On most non-Windows systems I’ve tried it
one, it stringifies as nan:

$ perl -le 'print sin 9**9**9'
nan

I seem to remember seeing CPAN modules that provide a nan() constant,
but not NaN. There are also plans under way to make nan stringify as nan
on all platforms. So I would be in favor of changing every instance of
NaN to nan. (This isn’t JavaScript, after all. :-)

> "invocand" --> "invocant"

Definitely.

> "errorprone" --> "error-prone"

Arguable both ways, but the latter is easier to read.

> "supercalifragilisticexpialidoceous" -->
> "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"

That’s not even a real word, so how can there be a correct spelling? And
I always thought it had a double l in -calli-. :-)

> (Rakudo consistently uses "invocant", not "invocand".)
>
> I also noticed a mix of US and UK spellings.  For example, the ratio
> of "behavior" to "behaviour" is very close to 1:1.  I didn't touch
> any of those.  Is there a policy for that?  Should there be?

I hope not. :-)

Thank you for your work. I’ve just applied your patch, but without the
nan and supercal(l)ifragilisticexpialidoc[ei]ous parts, as commit 7698aed.