develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2011

Re: Why views are useful, and why their syntax doesn't matter much

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
Re: Why views are useful, and why their syntax doesn't matter much
Message ID:
20110711125334.GC23881@plum.flirble.org
On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 01:41:41PM -0700, Reverend Chip wrote:

> The no-common-vars optimization works strictly by name?  Feh.  Perhaps
> you're right about the pragma, or perhaps we can just have users use do
> BLOCK as a workaround since it makes temp copies that can have their
> contents stolen, reducing the waste:
>
>     ($original,$something_else) = do { 3,$v };

I suspect that it can be detected and dealt with at runtime without users
needing to know, much like Dave managed with acdea6f060081615 for a related
issue with list assignment.

Nicholas Clark