develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2011

How much of PerlIO is part of the API?

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
July 4, 2011 05:41
Subject:
How much of PerlIO is part of the API?
Message ID:
CAHhgV8hdT+fBGau7txWErrfNapimYBBvFU7v2mM_i-A6xpf=2Q@mail.gmail.com
Currently, a small part of PerlIO is documented, declared API and
exported. This is pretty much only the end-user functionality
equivalent to what stdio provides. However, most of PerlIO is entirely
undocumented and not declared part of the API anywhere, but is
exported regardless. This are the interfaces used to define PerlIO
layers.

I think this is rather problematic and that I they should be made part
of the official API, but I would prefer them to be changed slightly:
they currently require the end user to pass aTHX_ explicitly. Changing
this however will break PerlIO modules on CPAN that use these
interfaces.

Is that acceptable or not?

Leon