develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2011

Re: Beginnings of a policy on documentation for changes to Perl

From:
Father Chrysostomos
Date:
Re: Beginnings of a policy on documentation for changes to Perl
Message ID:
A1C15EE8-A008-424C-835E-F0E721D7ABE4@cpan.org
brian d foy wrote:
> In article <20110626144654.GD22631@puppy>, Jesse Vincent
> <jesse@fsck.com> wrote:
>

> > Changes which alter Perl's syntax or semantics be required to have
> > perldelta entries and complete doc changes BEFORE they're committed
> > to blead.
>
> This is not the problem. Many of these major mis-features come from a
> lack of testing and use cases. In Tom's process, that's step F under
> "fully explain". People have to try their new features in many ways to
> find their limitations.
>
> This isn't a problem of bookkeeping. These features do get documented,
> mostly incompletely, but often, I'd say, to the satisfaction of the
> person writing those docs and to the satisfaction of the people
> reviewing the feature. People are still going to think they are doing a
> good job even with this policy, and I still think we'll have the
> problem of incompletely conceived  and barely tested features with
> entries in perldelta et alia.

I think the real problem is that naysayers are not taken seriously enough.