develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2011

Why is there a sizing pass in regex compilation

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
July 2, 2011 21:31
Subject:
Why is there a sizing pass in regex compilation
Message ID:
4E0FF06D.8040002@khwilliamson.com
I know Yves has said that he hates this aspect of this.  It looks to me
that it should be easy to remove this pass, and treat regex compilation
similarly to string parsing: if you run out of room from your initial
guess, you just realloc more space, trimming at the end.

Is there something people are aware of that I'm not seeing here?