develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2011

Re: Is there a good reason for README.foo to have NAME 'README.foo'

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
Re: Is there a good reason for README.foo to have NAME 'README.foo'
Message ID:
4E0FEFB5.3050502@khwilliamson.com
On 06/20/2011 09:12 AM, Karl Williamson wrote:
> On 05/22/2011 02:02 PM, Father Chrysostomos wrote:
>> Karl Williamson wrote:
>>> For example,
>>> =head1 NAME
>>>
>>> README.aix - Perl version 5 on IBM AIX (UNIX) systems
>>>

>>> The problem is that the files get renamed to be perlaix.pod, and most
>>> links to them are of the form L<perlaix>, and don't work.
>>>
>>> I propose to change the name from README.aix to perlaix, unless there is
>>> a reason not to.
>>
>> It may be slightly confusing to have perlaix at the top of a README
>> file. How about changing the name when it is copied to pod/?
>>

> Going back to this earlier message in the thread. It turns out that 41%
> of the READMEs already are of the form like "perlaix. Given that new
> info, and the issues that arise with just getting rid of the READMEs
> with vms, I'm thinking the original proposal is the simplest fix.
>
> Other thoughts?

Since there were no further comments, I pushed this as
de2902a