develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2011

Fwd: PRI #186: Word-Joining Hyphen

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
Fwd: PRI #186: Word-Joining Hyphen
Message ID:
4E0F60C8.6020704@khwilliamson.com

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 14:27:25 -0700
From: announcements@unicode.org

The Unicode Technical Committee has posted a new issue for public review
and
comment. Details are on the following web page:

     http://www.unicode.org/review/

Review period for the new item closes on July 27, 2011.

Please see the page for links to discussion and relevant documents.
Briefly,
the new issue is:

PRI #186    Word-Joining Hyphen

The Unicode Standard has different character properties for line-break and
word-break behavior that reflect differences in behavior. The standard
specifies that U+2011 NON-BREAKING HYPHEN disallows line breaks. The
Unicode
Technical Committee is currently considering whether this non-breaking
behavior should be broadened to also affect word breaking behavior.

Details concerning this proposal are in the PRI itself:
http://www.unicode.org/review/pri186/

If you have comments for official UTC consideration, please post them by
submitting your comments through our feedback & reporting page:

     http://www.unicode.org/reporting.html

If you wish to discuss issues on the Unicode forum or the Unicode
mail list, then please use the following links to subscribe (if necessary).
Please be aware that discussion comments on the Unicode mail list are
not automatically recorded as input to the UTC. You must use the reporting
link above to generate comments for UTC consideration.

     http://www.unicode.org/forum/
     http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html

----
All of the Unicode Consortium lists are strictly opt-in lists for members
or interested users of our standards. We make every effort to remove
users who do not wish to receive e-mail from us. To see why you are getting
this mail and how to remove yourself from our lists if you want, please
see http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html#announcements