develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2011

Commit squashorama in branches

From:
Steffen Mueller
Date:
July 2, 2011 09:22
Subject:
Commit squashorama in branches
Message ID:
20110702162223.19258.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
Dear all,

there are two particular branches in the main repository that contain a
total of 171 commits. They refactor ExtUtils::ParseXS (in the
smueller/strictpxs_fixups branch) and on top of that branch, the
smueller/eu_typemap branch moves all typemap parsing/crunching into a
separate module (not a separate distribution).

Jesse agreed that it would suck not to have this work merged into blead
in some way. The plan is to use rebase to keep some history, but it's
pretty clear that not ALL of those 171 commits are hugely significant
and likely, quite a few could be squashed.

Now, I've done a lot of git history rewriting on these two branches and
to be honest, I am *sick* of it. Thus, I wonder somebody could step in
and help out? Simply read the changes, determine what can go together,
squash commits, improve the commit message. Done. Alternatively, just
tell me the commit ids of the commits that can be squashed and I can do
it. This is mostly to get some extra review and to prevent me from going
mad over re-reading all of that yet again.

This could be done by anyone who knows Perl and some git. Doesn't need a
core hacker or committer. If you can't commit to the core repository,
you can use the distributed nature of git to pull the branches in your
local clone and push your changes to github or wherever.

Best regards,
Steffen