develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2011

Re: Proposal for 5.16: Kill the Changes file

From:
Rocco Caputo
Date:
Re: Proposal for 5.16: Kill the Changes file
Message ID:
64526195-ABD0-46B7-B996-C7A4F33A4A05@pobox.com
On Jun 8, 2011, at 23:12, David Golden wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Craig A. Berry <craig.a.berry@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Jesse Vincent <jesse@fsck.com> wrote:
>>> These days, the Changes file is a set of pointers into git and
>>> historical tarballs rather than a literal record of all Changes
>>> in the distribution.
>>>
>>> It needs updating for each and every release.
>>
>> I can't see any reason that it should, except for updating the example
>> git command with tag names corresponding to new version numbers.  And
>> I don't see the necessity of having updated version numbers for an
>> example intended to demonstrate digging through historical changes.
>
> Seriously, just stick "automate generation of Changes file" on a 5.16
> blocker list and someone will get to it eventually.

Already "done", maybe.  I can put it on github if it's interesting:
http://thirdlobe.com/svn/repo-tools/trunk/git-log.pl

Sample output:
http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/RCAPUTO/Reflex-0.088/CHANGES

Dist::Zilla version (obviously not for core development):
http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Dist::Zilla::Plugin::ChangelogFromGit

--
Rocco Caputo <rcaputo@pobox.com>