develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2011

Re: Is Perl's newline mangling on Win32 necessary?

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
Re: Is Perl's newline mangling on Win32 necessary?
Message ID:
20110701190927.GM8585@klangraum.plasmasturm.org
* Konovalov, Vadim (Vadim)** CTR ** <vadim.konovalov@alcatel-lucent.com> [2011-06-30 15:55]:
> > From: Jan Dubois [mailto:jand@activestate.com]
> >
> > It has *nothing* to do with the console, but with the fact
> > that *text* files on Windows have CRLF line endings.
> > Download a text/plain
>
> most of my text files on windows do not have CRLF - they only
> have \x0a as line end
>
> > file with your browser, or redirect the output of most any
> > program to a file, and you end up with CRLF line endings.
>
> not convincing.
>
> there are couple of programs that do not recognize \x0a
> properly but most programs are not that bogus.

At $work we have had huge headaches trying to keep CRLFs out of
our Git repositories. Sources that come out of Git use LF and the
editors used by Windows-based developers DTRT with those, but
files newly created by these developers often get checked in with
CRLF line endings.

To me that means most Windows software must still be presuming
CRLF even if it can handle LF-only properly.

Regards,