develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2011

Re: git merge no-ff references

From:
Karl Williamson
Date:
Re: git merge no-ff references
Message ID:
4E0E0630.3070504@khwilliamson.com
On 06/15/2011 06:57 PM, David Golden wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Aristotle Pagaltzis<pagaltzis@gmx.de>  wrote:
>> So you get linear topic branches without pollution from merge
>> commit zig-zags that record nothing more than the order in which
>> developers happened to pull from each other.
>
> OK.  I get it.  If you're collaborating on a topic branch with
> someone, then you pull/rebase to keep history in the topic branch
> linear.  Then you non-ff the merge into master only.
>
> I like it.
>
> -- David

So are we supposed to do this or not?  I have a sequence of 40 commits
that lead to no user-visible changes, hence no perldelta needed.  How
should this go into the master?  Did we figure out the bisect implications?