develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2011

Re: RFC: Handling utf8 locales

From:
Zefram
Date:
June 27, 2011 04:01
Re: RFC: Handling utf8 locales
Message ID:
20110627110127.GU9463@lake.fysh.org
Karl Williamson wrote:
>Currently, under locale, the user is warranting that the strings are
>correctly encoded in the specified locale.
>                under utf8 locales, which are currently documented as
>not working, the regex engine and the casing functions would assume that
>their strings were properly Unicode-encoded.

So you're proposing that the meaning of "use locale", with respect to the
expected encoding of strings, be completely different for UTF-8 locales
from what it is for other locales.  I oppose this.  If the programmer is
working with strings in native Unicode form, ey should declare this with
"use feature 'unicode_strings'" or equivalent, not with "use locale".

-zefram