develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2011

Re: RFC: Handling utf8 locales

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
June 26, 2011 04:17
Re: RFC: Handling utf8 locales
Message ID:
BANLkTinP8p5GBoM6L0y1j=z6c1T0SBtd0Q@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Zefram <zefram@fysh.org> wrote:
> We should discourage the use of locale-encoded strings within Perl space.
> We should encourage decoding on input, encoding on output, and using
> native Unicode representation in the middle.  To this end, there should
> be a PerlIO layer :locale, which {de,en}codes according to the locale's
> preferred encoding.  The locale's encoding may perfectly well be UTF-8,
> and in *this* context we can handle it in an entirely regular manner,
> on a par with ISO-8859-*.

There is such a module on CPAN, but it's currently broken by design. I
think I just fixed that in my repo, though that involved a complete
rewrite. I think this module may be a good candidate for core in 5.16.

Leon