develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2011

Re: RFC: Handling utf8 locales

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
June 22, 2011 16:06
Re: RFC: Handling utf8 locales
Message ID:
BANLkTikZas+2eSYS3N3qtUqbS0-jphLAwA@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Karl Williamson
<public@khwilliamson.com> wrote:
> Perl has never handled multi-byte locales, including utf8 ones.  But it
> appears that more and more locales come as utf8 variants, such as ZA.utf8. I
> did some research on the standards behind them, and it appears that because
> of various objections, including that they weren't general enough, nothing
> was ever fully approved.
>
> It's a lot of work to handle multi-byte locales in general, but Perl already
> knows how to handle Unicode utf8.  This leads to my proposal: If under "use
> locale", a locale name ends in '.utf8', then Perl treats it for purposes of
> cytpe-only as regular Unicode.  We would not actually inspect the locale's
> rules, but use the Unicode ones, as if the locale were a properly specified
> and implemented Unicode locale.
>
> For purposes of other things that Perl does with locale, such as the decimal
> point separator, Perl would use the locale rules, just as currently.
>
> The advantages to a user are that Perl would start to accept this single,
> common, multi-byte locale and they would get the correct results.
>
> Since we don't currently handle utf8 locales, I don't know any downsides for
> the user.

This actually sounds like something resembling sanity, something
uncommon in both locales and unicode. I like it.

Leon